It's no wonder that this worldwide pandemic has people considering their health more than ever. We are confronted with the fact that approximately 90% of those hospitalized with severe cases of COVID-19 have comorbid health issues often born from their lifestyle. The majority of these accompanying health issues are obesity, diabetes, and hypertension. These cardiometabolic diseases compromise the immune system, weakening the ability for the body to fight this coronavirus.
As an Integrative Functional Medicine doctor, I do my best to provide you the latest news, information and tips to keep you up-to-date, informed and safe. Feel free to forward this email to your friends and family. We can all benefit from evidence-based tips that empower our ability to reach our physical, spiritual and mental progress. I ask you to not let this time to be one of stagnated plans, goals and meaning. This is a great time for you to explore, try and lockdown the habits that enhance your life. More than ever we are learning the importance of the microbiome and immune system health! I encourage you to try at least a few of these tips below and continue to reach daily for an ever evolving healthier well-being.
If you are ready for the life-transforming and healing opportunity of systems-based medicine through my Functional teleMedicine Membership...I am accepting patients now-worldwide! Click Here to sign up: Functional teleMedicine Membership I look forward to meeting you!
I will categorize these tips by their capacity to boost PHYSICAL, MENTAL, and SPIRITUAL needs.
PHYSICAL HEALTH TIPS:
1. 𝙀𝙖𝙩 𝙉𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙞𝙨𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙁𝙤𝙤𝙙𝙨 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙏𝙧𝙮 𝙉𝙤𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙂𝙧𝙖𝙯𝙚 𝘼𝙡𝙡 𝘿𝙖𝙮. This gives your body the opportunity to help regulate insulin, metabolism, and weight. If you need to snack, reach for fresh fruit.
2. 𝘾𝙝𝙤𝙤𝙨𝙚 𝘼𝙡𝙡-𝙉𝙖𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙡 𝙋𝙧𝙤𝙙𝙪𝙘𝙩𝙨 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝘾𝙡𝙚𝙖𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙜, 𝙃𝙮𝙜𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙚, 𝙃𝙚𝙖𝙡𝙩𝙝 𝙚𝙩𝙘. The toxins in many products can alter the function of your hormones. It is recognized that accumulation of toxins is a major factor in many chronic health problems including weight issues. (As a functional medicine doctor, I am able to help my patients’ detox from the these toxins that are harming their health.)
3. 𝙀𝙖𝙩 𝙋𝙡𝙖𝙣𝙩-𝘽𝙖𝙨𝙚𝙙. Because research shows that being plant-based lowers your risk of obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, digestive diseases, colon and breast cancers, and can help lower body weight and reduce total and LDL cholesterol.
MENTAL HEALTH TIPS:
1. 𝙃𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙧𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙖𝙗𝙡𝙚 𝙨𝙝𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙢𝙥𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙪𝙥𝙙𝙖𝙩𝙚𝙨 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪. While it is important to stay informed about the coronavirus, if you find that even limiting how often you check the news triggers your anxiety and depression, consider this option instead.
2. 𝙎𝙩𝙖𝙮 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙣𝙚𝙘𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙖𝙨 𝙗𝙚𝙨𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙘𝙖𝙣 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙘𝙝 𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙨𝙪𝙥𝙥𝙤𝙧𝙩 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙞𝙩. Prioritize staying in touch with family and friends and schedule times to connect, especially if you have a tendency to withdrawal when anxious or depressed. And while social media is a great tool for connecting, make a point to log off when you feel it is spurring your anxiety.
3. 𝙍𝙚𝙖𝙘𝙝 𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙥𝙝𝙮𝙨𝙞𝙘𝙞𝙖𝙣. If you find that you cannot find a solution for your stress, reach out to your doctor or healthcare practitioner for professional guidance.
SPIRITUAL HEALTH TIPS:
1. 𝘿𝙤 𝙖 𝙈𝙖𝙣𝙩𝙧𝙖 𝙈𝙚𝙙𝙞𝙩𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝘿𝙖𝙞𝙡𝙮. Research has shown that meditation has the potential to impact you mentally and physically by helping you control your attention, increase self-awareness & mindfulness. It also can lower your anxiety levels. Not sure how to do a mantra meditation? Click Here: How to Do a Mantra Meditation
2. 𝙈𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙖 𝙏𝙤-𝘿𝙤 𝙇𝙞𝙨𝙩. Research shows that writing down a plan of action can increase your productivity. Once you've created your list, rank each item by level of importance and start tackling the list from there. This also helps to cultivate your level of mindfulness, which means you can maintain moment-to-moment attention of where you are & what you're doing with your listed items.
3. 𝙁𝙤𝙡𝙡𝙤𝙬 𝙖 5-𝙎𝙩𝙖𝙜𝙚 𝙋𝙨𝙮𝙘𝙝𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙞𝙘𝙖𝙡 𝘾𝙮𝙘𝙡𝙞𝙘𝙖𝙡 𝙋𝙧𝙤𝙘𝙚𝙨𝙨 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙄𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣𝙖𝙡 𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚. These stages are: Precontemplation, Contemplation, Preparation, Action and Maintenance. Click Here to find out how you can make this time one where you lockdown the habits you need to achieve your best health: Intentional Change Stages
To kickstart any change to your eating habits, know which foods work best for you! Start with this FREE copy of my Elimination Diet Guide by clicking Here.
To Your Health, Kiran Grewal MD
"My goal is to share my knowledge with the world. I believe in delivering valuable and ethical content that changes the lives of my patients." -Kiran Grewal MD