The Sneaky Infection That Could Be Affecting Your Mood, Weight & Skin
May 17, 2019
What does toe fungus, sinusitis and vaginal yeast infections have in common? The answer is candidiasis. While candidiasis is often thought of as a common issue for women, when there is too much of it in your body, it can spread to many places-in women and men.
Candida is a form of fungal yeast whose original function is to help you digest and absorb nutrients from food. Along with other bacteria, candida is naturally present in your mouth, gut and within your reproductive organs and urinary system. But when the amount of candida in your body gets overproduced, it can lead to infections, or what is called, candidiasis. This excessive growth causes negative reactions throughout various areas of your body.
Candidiasis shows up as toe fungus, can be a part of your sinus issues, a cause for eczema, digestive issues, UTI’s, joint pain and can prevent you from losing weight. It can even enter the bloodstream or internal organs like the kidney, heart, or brain. This is especially dangerous for those with poor immune health.
The game changer for getting rid of candidiasis lies within your lifestyle choices.
Creating a lifestyle that promotes healing from candida and keeps it away:
Though there are many anti-fungal drugs available to treat Candida, they are not always effective. And most of the anti-fungal drugs have substantial amounts of toxic effects on human cells. Taking an Integrative Functional Medicine approach can lead towards healing and preventing the onset of candida from returning.
- First, you will need to remove the foods that are conducive towards candidiasis from your diet. This protocol I recommend for 21 days. These are simple sugars that are found in sodas, candy, all alcohol, flour, wheat, and a variety of commercially produced foods. Read the labels of all your food. You may be surprised to find how often sugar is added to foods! Also, cut back on your intake of complex carbs as well, such as peas, beans, whole grains, and potatoes. They also break down into sugar and sugar feeds candida. And while there are good bacteria present in fermented foods like kombucha, sauerkraut and kimchi, candida also likes to feed off the sugars, yeast and other bacteria present in these foods. Getting rid of these and other inflammatory foods will make this step even more effective. That is why I am providing you my Elimination Diet. This diet can dramatically improve your health.
- Once you have cleaned up your diet it is time to restore the presence of good bacteria in your gut. In vitro studies have shown that adding small amounts of coconut oil to your diet has been shown to suppress the overgrowth of candida. It has even been proven to be active against types of candida that are resistant to conventional treatments. You can find supplements or add unrefined organic fair-trade coconut oil to your foods. A great way to start using coconut oil is to switch it out with other cooking or baking oils, learning to mind the differences in appropriate measures for recipes. I personally like to add a little to my smoothies or to salad dressings. While the goal is to minimize the overgrowth of candida, if much of it is killed off too quickly, you may experience uncomfortable “die-off” symptoms. This is because of the toxins released by the dying candida. You may feel that your candida symptoms have worsened as well as other symptoms like nausea, headaches and bloating. Remember, your health is a journey, not an event.
To actively restore good bacteria, you will need some healthy enzymes to create prebiotics, or the food for probiotics to flourish. Probiotics are the helpful bacteria that help balance the diversity of flora in your gut. I recommend eating fibrous foods such as leeks, garlic, larch, green-leaf and non-starchy vegetables as your prebiotics. The probiotic I recommend is Orthobiotic by OrthoMolecular.
Here is a recipe I follow to make my own probiotic at home.
You will need:
-4 cups of organic fruit. (Overripe is best.)
-High-quality S. Boulardii Capsules
- Pit any fruits as needed but keep peels on.
- Using a blender, add 1 cup of spring water & the fruit. Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan. Cook at low heat until boiling. Let boil for 20 minutes.
- Remover from stove and allow mixture to cool until it is body temperature.
- Add contents of 2 S. Boulardii capsules and stir.
- Pour into a large bowl, filling halfway. As it ferments, it will expand. Make sure that the mixture has enough room.
- Turn on your oven light and place bowl in oven. The heat from the oven light will be sufficient to keep I at body temperature for the next 2 to 3 days.
- Taste test on Day 2. When there is no residual sweet taste to the mixture, you will know it is ready.
- Transfer the mixture to your refrigerator. Use one tablespoon daily before breakfast for two weeks. Mixture should keep for two weeks before making your next batch.
- To further heal your gut, it is good to examine how your relationships, job and lifestyle affect you emotionally, physically and spiritually. If you are chronically stressed, then your chances of attaining health are minimized. Finding healthy ways to manage your levels of stress is vital. And if you are not surrounding yourself with loving relationships, you will suffer from poor health too. It is just as imperative that you create time to meditate, exercise, and de-stress as it is to form good relationships that are supportive and encouraging. By lowering your stress and building good relationships, you are supporting your immune system and strengthening your response to candida infections.
*As everyone’s wellness journey is unique, you should consult your doctor or healthcare provider before doing any type of treatment or changes to your diet and health approach.
Thank you for listening and I look forward to seeing you next time!
For more information on Functional Medicine visit my website at KiranGrewalMD.com
To Your Health,
Kiran Grewal MD
(Recipe is sourced from: Villoldo, Alberto. Grow A New Body. How Spirit And Power Plant Nutrients Can Transform Your Health. Carlsbad: Hay House Inc., 2019. Print.)